Utthita Trikonasana is among the top beginners’ poses to reduce any back pain and to keep all the posterior muscles injury-free and chain loose. Though the Extended Triangle pose is considered to be a beginner’s pose, it is still quite challenging. If you understand how to perform this posture, you will be able to get the maximum Triangle pose benefits, and in no time, you will be able to master this pose.
How to do Extended Triangle pose
- This pose can be started in Warrior II pose by keeping the right foot forward. By straightening the front knee, keep a small bend so that the knee doesn’t get locked.
- Send your left hip towards the back foot and exhale while hinging towards the front of the mat.
- Try to block by placing the right hand on the ground, and then reach the left hand towards the sky.
- As you start to encourage the right ribs forward, roll your left ribs gently. Keep in mind that both the sides of your torso should be equal in length.
- The next step is to draw the tailbone down towards the left heel, and you have to gaze towards the top hand if you are feeling comfortable on the neck.
- This pose should be held for 60 seconds, and to bring yourself back up, you have to use inhalation and then root through the back heel by using it as an ankle. Repeat the same on the opposite side by changing the position of your feet.
Triangle pose benefits
The Extended Triangle pose offers you an opportunity to embody the philosophy when you are to focus on finding stability while expanding. The physical shape of this posture will make you feel that several triangles are being formed. The following are the Utthita Trikonasana benefits.
- Considered to be a deep stretch for the groins, hamstrings, and hips, Trikonasana can also open the chest and the shoulders. Therefore, it is beneficial to relieve stress, lower back pain, and digestion.
- This pose is responsible for strengthening the muscles in the hips, thighs, and back while also helping to tone the ankles and the knees. The Extended Triangle pose also stimulates the torso organs in order to improve metabolism.
- The Extended Triangle pose is also known to be therapeutic for flat feet, anxiety, infertility, sciatica, and osteoporosis.
- Utthita Trikonasana is no doubt more than just a simple stretch because it can improve overall stability and balance both physically and mentally. It also helps to increase the courage and the confidence of the body, and therefore, creating grace and poise on the mat and even off the mat.
Utthita Trikonasana or the Extended Triangle pose is known to be a classic standing posture in a number of yoga lineages, as it strengthens and stretches your entire body. When you approach this particular pose by making some intelligent modifications, it certainly helps you to enjoy the posture and everything else that it has to offer you.